Sunday, November 13, 2005

Mom and Lily


Mom and Lily Posted by Picasa

I started this blog for several reasons: I was inspired by my friend, Amanda, and her blog; my whole world has been upended by the arrival of my daughter and our subsequent move to Tennessee; and I can type a lot faster than I can write most days. It seems that blogs can be made up of little snippets of thought and make perfect sense. On the other hand, the pregnancy journal I was keeping for my daughter, Lily, seems to ramble and shift with every turn of the page. Now my biggest obstacle seems to be getting photos in the right place on the site and figuring out how to do that using the photo program already installed on my computer.

This next chapter of my life was a huge leap of faith. My husband and I moved to Tennesse seven weeks after our daughter was born. We used to live in Ventura, California, but moved to Tennessee so that we could provide a bit better for Lily. My parents and my siblings are all within 20 minutes of our new home, which was a big incentive for me as well.

My daughter was born in August (two weeks earlier than expected) and she changed my life in ways that I could've never imagined. I love being a mom. If only this was a job with a salary, my life would be cake. I love watching her sleep, listening to her babble in her three-month-old language, kick her arms and legs like a rock star, looking into her big blue eyes and wondering what she thinks when she looks back at me. Even the lack of sleep is not as painful as it could be-as long as I get that huge smile from her when I go to get her out of her crib in the morning.

But, speaking of lack of sleep, I have a feeling that many of my early blog entries will be written in the early hours of the morning or late in the evening when Lily is sleeping. We are currently working on learning how to nap during the daytime. It is almost more exhausting for me to teach her how to nap than staying up would be for her! I'm learning to let her cry for a bit before going to soothe her...I'm not very good at it yet, but I'm working on it!

No comments: